A Healthy alternative to family favorite sides
Low carb diets such as the keto diet have gained a lot of popularity in the last few years. Even though many medical professionals feel it is as the best way to lose weight, most people find it very difficult to give up their favorite high carb side items. Do you love mashed potatoes or fried rice, but don’t love all the carbs? Well then, Dr. Ressler, Oviedo and Winter Springs Chiropractor, has the perfect solution to your carbohydrate woes.
If you are looking for a more nutritious option for rice or potatoes then look down the produce aisle of your favorite grocery store and pick up cauliflower. Cauliflower is loaded with B-vitamins and is high in fiber which can help with digestion and even may help with weight loss. It also contains anti-oxidants which can prevent against cancer. This makes it an amazing alternative for potatoes and rice.
There are many recipes online that use cauliflower to make mashed potatoes, fried rice and so much more flavorful sides. Better yet, you can buy it already pre-riced and in a microwavable bag. Brands like Green Giant and Bird’s Eye sell cauliflower riced and ready for the microwave. These can be purchased at almost any local grocery store, Want to use fresh cauliflower? Here is a tasty recipe that pairs well with almost any meal:
Roasted Cauliflower (instead of roasted potatoes)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Chop one head of cauliflower into approx. 2-inch pieces (you don’t have to be specific, just make sure they are relatively the same size so they cook evenly)
- Spread evenly on a baking sheet
- Drizzle approx. 2 TBSP of Avocado oil (you can use olive oil as a substitute, but I find Avocado tastes the best)
- Sprinkle Pink Himalayan Sea Salt and fresh ground pepper
- ***If you are looking for more flavor and a spicy kick that will also help you burn fat, you add a sprinkle of garlic powder and Cayenne powder.
- Cook on 375 degrees uncovered for about 30 minutes or until cauliflower is tender.
- Let cool for at least 5 minutes and enjoy!